Open Water Saturday Swims
Come join us for open water group swims on Saturdays at various area lakes. Locations will be posted each week in the weekly MAC e-mails, on the MAC Swimmers Facebook page and via the Remind app.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The practices are not sanctioned by MAC and aren’t officially coached. The object of these “informal” organized swims is so that you always have someone to swim with. Beyond that there aren’t any workouts or coaching.
- We will meet every week at the posted location at 7:45 a.m.
- ALL levels of swimmers are welcome. The lakes we swim in can accommodate swimmers who want a 1/2 mile swim to those who want to do multiple-mile swims.
- We feel that the safest way to swim is using the buddy system. Find a fellow swimmer who is a comparable speed to you and look out for one another. It’s not that hard to watch one other person and then we know we’re all accounted for. As you may know…people get spread out and the buddy system makes this safe for everyone.
- First and foremost is to have the same number in and the same number out at every swim. To that end, when we have large groups we plan on using the Popsicle stick method. Here’s how it works:
We will pass out Popsicle sticks at the beginning of the swim and ask you to write your name, cell number and emergency contact on it. Then place your stick in a bag on the beach (we’ll provide) before you head in the water. Upon leaving, grab your stick so we know you’re out of the water. You (and possibly your emergency contact) will get a call from us if we are leaving the beach and your stick is left behind and we can’t find you. If possible, keep your stick and bring it with you each week so you don’t have to keep re-using sticks!
- We will be using Remind and Facebook to cancel in the event of inclement weather – NOT EMAIL! If you show up and we are not there you may have missed a notification that the swim is cancelled.
To sign up for Remind, go to www.remind.com. Once you have joined you will receive text notifications to your phone (or email if that is your preference), with the latest announcements – it’s that simple.
1. Click Sign Up. You will be prompted for a phone number or email address. If you enter a phone number you will get a 4 digit code texted to you for verification. If you entered an email address, you will not get the 4 digit code.
2. You will be asked to enter: First, Last Name and a Password.
3. The next page will ask who you are: Teacher, Student, Parent, or Administrator. Select “Student”.
3. The next prompt is for a class code @_________. Enter: macsw06
4. Click Join. Thats it!
You can reach out to Melissa Richardson at 248-933-4435 or Kim Yarima 313-595-6055 anytime with questions or concerns.